If you’re planning to attend the Opal Group’s Family Office & Private Wealth Management Forum from July 24-26, 2017 in Newport, Rhode Island, you’re probably starting to get excited. Pretty soon, you’ll be meeting investment managers, private investors, and family offices from around the country—and hopefully, you’ll find some potential clients. It’s a big opportunity to network, make new connections, and expand your bank of investment knowledge.
And as an added bonus? You’re going to be staying in Newport, RI—one of the top summer destinations in the entire world. Newport is famous for its rich history, opulent mansions, endless coastline, and quaint New England vibe.
Not sure what to do in Newport during your “off” hours away from the Opal Forum? You’re in luck! Havener Capital Partners is located smack-dab in the middle of downtown Newport and our third party marketing team has the inside scoop on lesser-known attractions that locals love.
Here are 5 things you won’t want to miss when you’re in Newport, RI:
- Stroll to King Park:You’ve probably heard of the Cliff Walk—and sure, it is epic—but if you’d rather chill by the water, King Park has got it going on. The park is right off of lower Thames Street on Wellington Avenue and it has a beautiful gazebo, covered (or uncovered) areas for sitting and/or eating, an up-close-and-personal view of the harbor, along with access to a small beach. If you’re here on a Sunday from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM during the summer, checkout the free NIMFest Concert Series for an amazing day in the park.
- Dine on Broadway: Tourists flock to Thames Street for food, and while there are some great eats in that area, you’ll get some equally delicious deals on Broadway. Local restaurant and business owners have transformed Broadway over the past decade to a vibrant, eclectic neighborhood worth visiting. It’s hard to go wrong with any of the restaurants on Broadway, but we’d recommend Malt or Caleb & Broad for your meal and The Fifth Element or Salvation Café for drinks.
- Drink at Vanderbilt Grace: Speaking of drinks…one of your fellow forum attendees may tell you they heard about a cool rooftop bar at the Hotel Viking—and they wouldn’t be wrong—but we’ve got a hidden gem for you that also has a view of the water. Drop by the Vanderbilt Grace roof deck for sunset and relax with your favorite cocktail. Be sure to ask one of the hotel’s friendly employees about the building’s fascinating history!
- See Newport from the Water: Rhode Island is the Ocean State and Newport, RI is the unofficial sailing capital of the world—if you don’t get out on the water at least once, you’ll really be missing out. Call our friends Greg and Alana at Antique Yacht Collection; a private charter on Newport Harbor and Narragansett Bay will be a highlight of your trip.
- Visit Havener Capital Partners! If you’re going to be in Newport, please don’t forget to come by HCP headquarters to say hello. We’re located at 1 Mill Street (right at the corner of Mill and Thames) in the middle of all the downtown hustle and bustle. Drop by to have a coffee with us, talk about your undiscovered mutual fund or your mutual fund marketing challenges, and tell us how you’re enjoying our City by the Sea!
Have a great time in Newport at the Opal Conference! Be sure to come back and leave a comment on this blog if you happen across a great restaurant or hidden gem during your time in our beautiful city.
About the Author
Stacy Havener is the founder of Havener Capital Partners, providing her sales and marketing expertise to a select group of high quality managers. Well recognized in the Registered Investment Advisor and wealth management channel, Stacy has significant experience in product development as well as raising assets through successful distribution strategies.Based in Newport, RI, Stacy balances her career with her love of travel, passion for cooking, and an addiction to crossword puzzles.